The Eberhard Faber Pencil Company, originally the A. W. Faber Company, was founded by Eberhard Faber (1822-1879) in 1861. Following a disastrous fire at the Manhattan plant in 1872, Faber moved the factory to Greenpoint Brooklyn, where it remained until 1956. The company is credited with bringing German lead pencil making techniques to the United States and the company grew to become one of Brooklyn’s most important factories. The final, and most structurally-advanced of all of the Eberhard Faber Pencil Company buildings, was built at 61 Greenpoint Avenue. This reinforced concrete, Art Deco style factory building was designed by architect Frederick H. Klie and built c.1923-24. It was Eberhard Faber Pencil Company’s signature building and the largest structure in the Greenpoint manufacturing district. Six stories tall, the upper floor is embellished with stars and pencils, gigantic glazed terra cotta reliefs that proudly advertised the company’s main product to pedestrians and passengers using the nearby ferry.